How to communicate with your partner
Do you know how to improve your relationship with your partner? What are the necessary steps that need to be taken to acquire effective communication skills with your partner?
You probably know that communication in relationships is needed for any happy relationship and marriage to succeed. Many relationships and marriages end and break because of lack of communication. In my previous article, "Top reasons for lack of communication in a relationship," I explained the main reasons why couples fail to communicate well with each other.
To improve your communication with your partner and to learn the secrets behind communication in relationships and marriage,
1. Learn not to interrupt your partner when he or she is speaking.
2. Listen carefully and pay attention to what your spouse is saying.
3. Ask your spouse a question, then based on your partner's answer, ask a new question.
4. Comment on what your partner says by using words such as how, where, when…
5. Understand and respect each other's opinions and beliefs.
6. Instead of blaming your partner for something, use the word "I feel..." For example, instead of saying, "You did something wrong," say, "I feel that you didn't do a good job with…"
7. Talk to your spouse about your needs. If you don't talk to your partner about it, then he or she might now know what you want or need.
8. Say romantic words to your partner constantly as using romantic words bring you closer to each other and will show your spouse that you care.
9. Talk to your partner about your feelings and emotions.
10. Learn to use body language to help you communicate better with your spouse. Showing good eye contact, showing compassion in your voice when you speak are all good examples to use.
Always remember what Aaron Goldman said, "Communicate unto the other person that which you would want him to communicate unto you if your positions were reversed."